Saturday, March 16, 2013

army green


I've been double-dipping into my patterns lately. Right after I finished my black Burda pleated skirt, I cut into and finished a second version. I also just made another Archer shirt but we'll save that for another day, maybe. I've been self-conscious with my blogging lately; afraid of posting something uninteresting or repetitive, I don't post anything at all. Then I eventually feel guilty about my silence and post the stuff anyway. So here I am, with photos I took three weeks ago. Ah! 


Just call me Vampira, with sun-deprived skin that matches her glowing white walls. Save my cold soul, spring.


No settings on my camera or positioning of natural light would capture the true green-ness of this skirt. It looks dull brown in all these photos, but it's much more obviously green IRL. Unfortunately that means I don't really have that many tops to wear with it. And I'm not the type to make a camouflage blouse. Don't act shocked now.

I originally bought this fabric, which is a brushed twill, to make some skinny Thurlow pants, but the fitting process went terribly wrong. Since I had enough fabric leftover, I thought I might as well copy this skirt by Sewing Tidbits that I pinned forever ago, which is made from a different yet oh-so-similar Burda pattern:


I even copied her boot styling! Her skirt has an elastic waist in the back, but I decided to keep the original design of my own version, though I did omit the faux welt pocket things. I instead added faux flap pocket things on the front of the skirt. I'm no foe of the faux, you hear. I only had two of these gold buttons, otherwise I would have added them to the waistband closure as well.


The waistband and pockets are faced with leftover paisley fabric I used to make my mom a top. (Sorry, Mom, I promise I'll mail it soon...). It's a lightweight floaty cotton so probably not ideal for a waistband facing because it's not very structured. But I like how it complements the more masculine twilliness of the shell fabric.



Et voila. Another skirt on the ole sewing resume. Never too many, right?


Have you ever made a pattern twice in a row?